Thursday, November 27

Mole Hill into a Mountain

So anyway, after having the little blowout with Christine, Nick came home and I had to ruin the whole surprise. Told him everything about how I wanted it to be a surprise, found a really cool venue, invited all his friends and family and then I told him the whole conversation with his Mom.

He kinda was a bit shocked over her behaviour. He said of course I would plan his birthday, Im his partner! He said what his Mom didn’t realize, when he had his 18th and 21st he was living at home and single so of course she would plan it and now, his friends all have partners and he is turning 30 that it would be nice to have a grown up party with out kids for once….said I didn’t do anything wrong by booking the bar and that his Mom was out of order.

Thank God for that!

I knew he would take my side but I still had to stay diplomatic coz I didn’t want to offend him. He didn’t think it a good idea for him to call her though and convinced me to instead.

So I did.

1st thing I said was about my intentions about booking it and that I didn’t mean to exlude the kids and all of a sudden she started rambling off about Auntie Joan (funeral we attended) and about how she was like a mother to her and how upset she was, and Im thinking, what the hell does this have to do with Nicks birthday??? By the the time she took a breath to continue talking she was already on a different subject so I couldn’t go back and ask her why she was talking about Auntie Joan when this was about Nick.

She is the Mother of all Guilt Trips. Ive seen her do it countless of times before with her kids but this I think was going to far and I brushed the whole thing off.

I sent her a text the next day because she wasn’t being reasonable over the phone the night before saying that Im cancelling my venue for Sat and doing the Fri instead in London with his friends so she can plan what she likes. (Works better for me coz 3 of his friends weren’t available on the Sat anyway)

I think shes having trouble with the venue and costs and size and everything. And she asked me if everyone was going out Fri would they even want to come out Sat.

Sounds like another guilt trip to me. Sounds like me just rubbing it off my shoulder.

This has turned into such a joke and is completely blown out of proportion!

Makes me feel like I have to fight to keep Nick.

2 comments:

me and m said...

NO! You already have Nick - it looks like his mother is fighting to keep him.

Unknown said...

I agree with Mandy!!! She must be mental-pausal... don't get mad.. just do what you and Nick agree on and let Nick deal with HIS mother.

MUM